Yesterday, The Daily Mail claimed the the future of The Grand Tour was in doubt. “There is nothing to suggest they are going to do another one [series]. No one has signed anything and employees are wondering where everyone will go once filming wraps,” the tabloid’s insider source claimed, suggesting that the motoring show wouldn’t live beyond the initial three-series deal signed with Amazon Prime. It didn’t take host Jeremy Clarkson long to respond.
Replying to a fan on Twitter about the claims, the 57-year-old said “Don’t believe the f—king [Daily] Mail,” followed by a pair of Tweets to his 7.2 million followers that read: “So sad to hear Geordie Gregg [sic] is about to be fired as editor of the Mail on Sunday. I always rather liked him….Sorry Geordie. I may have published something which is horse sh-t. Annoying, isn’t it.” Ouch.
Speaking to the Mail at the weekend, Grand Tour producer Andy Wilman simply said: “We are focusing on series three at the moment.” A TGT spokesperson meanwhile told The Mirror: “The team have only just finished series two and have not begun filming series three yet - so it’s too soon for any decisions to have been made.”
Reporting on the Mail’s story, Jalopnik wasn’t able to receive comment from Amazon itself, but a source from the firm “indicated that this rumor might be baseless,” the publication said.
Series two of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May’s Top Gear follow-up ended last month, and the third series should debut around November - December 2018.