1. F1 drivers misbehavingSitting neatly in the gap between the German and Hungarian Grand Prix, Goodwood traditionally brings out most if not all of the current Formula 1 stars. And, unfettered by the FIA’s nannying restrictions on post-race celebrations, they tend to take the opportunity to prove that they enjoy a good tyre-shredding plume of smoke just as much as the next car nut. Where else are you going to see most of the current F1 grid doing burnouts and donuts to please the crowd?!
2. Porsche 911 at 50Every year’s Festival opens with a theme, and this year it’s the Porsche 911’s 50th birthday celebration. A sculpture to mark the occasion will be given pride of place in front of Goodwood House, and you can expect race, rally and road 911s to feature heavily in displays throughout the weekend. And as a taster, check out this on-board footage from a 911 GT3 Carrera Cup car taking on the hillclimb course.
3. Rally Good FunGoodwood’s best known for the hillclimb up Lord March’s driveway, but comparatively few people know that that’s only part of the action. Elsewhere on the estate, the Goodwood rally course will echo to the sounds of historic and current rally cars strutting their stuff on the gravel surface. Expect lurid slides aplenty. Where else can you see rally cars from so many different eras blasting through the forest in quick succession – and how often can you get up this close and personal with real, working Group B rally cars?
4. The Marshall Amps Mustang Funny Car will be thereIt has 8,000bhp. And it can do this. Enough said?
5. Have a go yourselfFancy having a go in some prime pieces of shiny new metal on the hillclimb course yourself? That’s what the Moving Motor Show is all about. Held the day before the Festival itself kicks off – in other words, July 11th this year – it gives punters like you and us the chance to go and have a blat up the hill behind the wheel of some of the coolest cars on sale today. Some manufacturers even offer passenger rides in serious supercars with pukka racing drivers behind the wheel. Either way, it’s a hell of an experience and we'll be giving tickets away on Monday, so keep your eyes peeled!
6. Oh, and there’ll be some bikes too…The hill won’t be reserved exclusively for four-wheeled machinery. No, some classic racing bikes, as well as more modern competition machinery, will be screaming past the house. Goodwood says that this year every single major bike racing discipline will be represented, and that no less than 15 world champion racers will be in attendance, as well as a host of other motorcycling legends. So you can expect to see famous names like John Surtees, Giacomo Agostini, James Toseland, Dougie Lampkin, and John McGuinness, and many more.
7. You get to mix with racing driversOne of Goodwood’s best bits is the unparalleled access it gives showgoers to the racing drivers who come along. Crowds are given the chance to get autographs, and even stop and chat to racing legends past… …and present… …and even the odd motorsport-mad film star!
8. The HillOf course, the main event at Goodwood has always been the hillclimb course. And if the mood takes you, you can have a cracking day simply by finding yourself a spot at the edge of the track and letting the sights, smells and sounds of the massive variety of racers and road cars out for a hoon wash over you. Formula 1 racers, WEC prototypes, bonkers GTs, classic single-seaters, NASCARs, touring cars, rally cars, and even go-karts and soapbox racers all have a place in proceedings.
Recommended submit video Submit Your Videos To Get Featured On Our Social Channels WTF1 Williams Delaying Stroll Announcement Because He's Too Young To Drink Martini WTF1 Jackie Stewart Stars In Clever New Heineken Advert WTF1 Who Will Fill The Remaining Seats On The 2017 F1 Grid? Motorsport Watch Carlos Sainz Crash Out Of A Dakar Stage And Into A Ravine Motorsport 12 Motorsport Fails From 2016 That’ll Have You Shaking Your Head WTF1 Fernando Alonso Gets Back In A Deckchair After Breaking Down At Interlagos Again WTF1 Daniil Kvyat Is Loving Formula One Again WTF1 8 Videos That Prove Just How Awesome Rallycross Is WTF1 These Single Seater Hill Climb Videos Look Impossibly Fast