I’ve been asked this question countless times by fellow Alcantara wheel owners, "what’s the most effective way to clean and restore my Alcantara steering wheel?"
Now, there are many video tutorials online with links to expensive chemicals and specialist tools and materials but in my honest opinion, it’s all absolute nonsense! Here is my super simple 5 step 15 minute process to getting that Alcantara wheel back to its lovely original soft fuzzy glory!
Chances are, if you have an alcantara steering wheel on your car, it probably looks something like this. Flat and shiny in the "three" and "nine" positions, and a little bit grey and faded the rest of the way around.
To get your wheel back to its former glory without having to spend money on gimmicy chemicals and materials, this is what you need:
- Some washing detergent, either bio, non bio, powder or liquid although liquid does work best!
- A micro fibre cloth, or, a face towel/flannel (something course in texture)
- Some warm water in a small container.
And now the process of restoration;
1) Mix a few drops of washing detergent with your warm water, and soak your cloth.
2) Squeeze out any excess liquid from the cloth so that it’s damp and grip your wheel tightly twisting the cloth so that it scrubs at the wheel.
3) Ensure the whole wheel is scrubbed firmly, don’t be afraid to really grip and twist it!
4) Get into the tighter spots by looping the cloth around the wheel and pulling back and forth… use this as an example:
5) Rinse your cloth, with fresh hot water, and repeat the scrubbing process until you are happy with the result.
And that’s it! Within just 15 minutes, your wheel will go from looking like this:
Now your wheel will feel soft, and smell wonderful as you cruise along.