General Motors Is In Talks With PSA Over the Sale Of Opel And Vauxhall

In the biggest industry development since Volkswagen took a controlling stake in Porsche, General Motors is in high-level talks with the owner of Peugeot, Citroen and DS about transferring ownership of Opel and Vauxhall
General Motors Is In Talks With PSA Over the Sale Of Opel And Vauxhall

General Motors is reportedly about to sell Opel, including its British doppleganger Vauxhall, to the company that owns Peugeot and Citroen.

Senior officials at GM have confirmed that talks are at an advanced stage, but PSA, which owns three French brands including DS, refused to speculate on whether a deal is imminent or even possible.

The negotiations are said to focus on a full merger of the five brands rather than any parts- or platform-sharing arrangement. For cost-saving reasons the idea has been in the pipeline before, eventually being squashed in 2013 by GM’s sale of 7 per cent of Peugeot stock.

Autocar suggests that PSA’s Chinese partner Dongfeng could front a decisive portion of the cash needed to make the purchase.

If the deal goes through, it could have huge ramifications for the European car industry and could mean heavy job losses with closures of some the the firms’ plants. Vauxhall has a facility at Ellesmere Port in Cheshire where the Opel and Vauxhall Astras have been built since 1981.

The move could be an attempt to challenge the mighty Volkswagen Group’s multi-branded assault on the industry. The German conglomerate currently runs seven car brands, plus several commercial vehicle makers and Italian motorbike builder Ducati.


Freddie Skeates

Yessss I love my staple European/British car brand with cheap interior plastics, crashy ride and terrible infotainment systems (/s)

02/14/2017 - 14:46 |
22 | 3

Just bang it on cheap coilovers to make the ride better 😂

02/14/2017 - 17:41 |
4 | 0

New Peugeots have quite good interior plastics, I think.

02/15/2017 - 18:36 |
0 | 0

Oh go

02/14/2017 - 14:47 |
0 | 0
Kyle Ashdown

I saw this coming. The Buick Envision is made in China and is one of few Buicks to not be an Opel facsimile. In retrospect, Buick was probably preparing for Opel to be out of the picture. Last-ditch effort for both groups to stay competitive.

02/14/2017 - 14:51 |
10 | 1

Peugeot, Citroen and Opel/Vauxhall combined.
Just think of the type of driver that would appeal to…
An artistic cheap MANIAC with no sense of direction, style, or quality and without any interest in driving whatsoever.

02/14/2017 - 15:00 |
128 | 2

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

60 percent of the belgian motorists in a nutshell.

02/14/2017 - 16:43 |
35 | 1

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Basically James May

02/14/2017 - 17:22 |
10 | 6

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

No style, quality and driving pleasure in a French car? You sir, are a moron.

02/15/2017 - 10:49 |
0 | 4
Loek 1

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

they’re gonna ruin the brands even more

02/16/2017 - 12:16 |
0 | 0
Valanti Demetriades

90 percent of Americans dont know what a Vauxhall is, the other 10 percent are car guys

02/14/2017 - 15:05 |
45 | 0

Which is why I’m kinda disappointed in this, even though I’m an American and shouldn’t feel anything. I just like GM, and am a small car enthusiast.

02/14/2017 - 17:58 |
2 | 0

Yep, I learned about it in NFS Hot Pursuit 2 with the VX220 then the Corsa, Vectra, etc. from Top Gear

02/14/2017 - 20:43 |
4 | 0
02/14/2017 - 15:31 |
23 | 0

Almost as if they tried really hard to make the most stereotypic old man’s car ever.

02/14/2017 - 16:10 |
2 | 0

so a Opel Cactus that will not only rust away in 5 Years and try to kill you with it’s suddenly engaging Steering lock but wil also have uncomprehensive Controls and leaking every fluid from every orface will be a thing then?

02/14/2017 - 16:27 |
2 | 0
Harry 15

Did that photobombing yellow one give the company a bad name 😂😂😂

02/14/2017 - 16:28 |
13 | 0
RodriguezRacer456 (Aventador SV) (Lambo Squad)

As an American who lives in a country where neither of the cars referred to here are sold in…

02/14/2017 - 16:28 |
4 | 0

Yet, you had engines Opel developed, although there were 4 pot ones, so not a real loss in the US :)

02/14/2017 - 20:07 |
2 | 0

The Regal is an Opel/Vauxhall Insignia though.

02/15/2017 - 04:01 |
0 | 0

Not really. A half of Buck models are Opels and a also Saturn used to sell rebranded Opels.

02/15/2017 - 18:39 |
0 | 0



Sponsored Posts